As the creator of the number-one eyecare professional-recommended photochromic lenses worldwide, we are proud of our history of continuous innovation.
In 1990, it started as a joint venture between PPG Industries and Essilor International S.A., the brand-new company, Transitions Optical, Inc., was introduced to the industry. In 1991, manufacturing began in Pinellas Park, Florida. For the first time, people could buy lightweight plastic photochromic lenses. And in 1992, Transitions® Plus lenses were launched.
We are industry leaders in advancing state-of-the-art light management technology, with a history of firsts.
- First successful plastic photochromic lens.
- First clear plastic photochromic lens.
- First availability in polycarbonate, Trivex® and high-index lenses.
- First to develop photochromic lenses for consumer segments.
- First to drive adaptive technology into sunglasses and motorcycle helmets.
- First everyday adaptive lens to darken and polarize upon UV exposure (first lenses with variable polarization).